Friday, December 5, 2008

Without Wisdom?


OK, I know everyone has this question on their mind...."however did little baby Deanna survive the surgery....?" Truth be told I am a baby, and I almost didn't make it. You see, Wednesday morning I woke up and realized I had cramps. My goodness, I'm sure you're wondering why I would ever tell you this. Well you see - I have to be the only girl in the world that would have her wisdom teeth removed the same day that her little visitor decided to come. Boy O' Boy though do I go through tremendous amounts of pain when it comes, so I already wasn't in a good mood. I couldn't take any pain pills, and considering I couldn't eat after Midnight the night before, I was also running on an empty stomach. Never good. We had to get gas so we were 7 minutes late to the appointment. I walked in and all the ladies were standing around in their surgical suites, goggles, etc... I signed over my life, and then took my X-Ray. Mom came into the briefing with me to get the low down on the risks and precautions. After that they led me to a room, strapped me in a chair and started poking my arm everywhere. Since I was dizzy to begin with all the confusion and hustle and bustle didn't help. Before they started prodding at my fragile arm I felt nauseous, I thought I was going to throw up, then they poked me 5 times....I don't remember much just that they kept putting this crap up my nose to get me to come too. Calling my name and running around saying "we're loosing her...." they were lowering the chair, then a second later they'd raise it. I remember asking for mom, and they said no. Then I'd ask for dad and they said no... I had no clue what was going on. Finally they got the IV in, and I got the most expensive nap of my life. It was like $1355 or something like that. Thank goodness for insurance. I don't remember a thing. Besides waking up and them shoving gauze in my mouth. I asked for mom, they said no. I asked for dad, and guess what...they said no. I started FREAKING OUT....they wouldn't let me see my parents, how dare them! I don't really remember but Mom said that the nurse or whatever you'd call them, said i was experiencing a mild case of shock. I could hardly walk. They got me to the car, and I laid down in the back seat. I don't remember much about the trip home...I told mom the story of the surgery, and I remember we came up on an accident that we went around on a bumpy road that hurt really bad. When we got home mom said Del would be coming over around 6-7. Apparently right when I got out of surgery I was asking for him, and crying? I don't recall but mom called him and told him I was asking for him. He said he could come visit me..... Now let me tell you about what I do remember.





We got home and mom changed my gauze and I laid in bed. She spoon fed me Jello which was hard to eat. I hadn't figured out yet how to swallow without feeling. I was so numb and everything tingled. Del got here, and sat at the side of my bed. Considering I was tired and I couldn't talk he didn't stay long...Just long enough to show me his concern and care. After he left I remember falling asleep watching a movie. I don't recall turning it off. The next thing I knew I opened my eyes, and was throwing up...in my bed. I reached for a plastic bag attempting to holler for dad (who was talking on the phone to Stephanie downstairs) but i was already done. Dad helped me get cleaned up and I went downstairs to be closer to someone...who could help me. I ate a popsicle, and threw up. I drank apple juice and threw it up, and then I drank ginger ale and surprise, surprise I threw it up. I threw up a grand total of 4 times. Mom and Dad were pretty concerned so they called the Emergency hot-line and we got ahold of the dentist. He said that I couldn't keep anything down because while being numb I swallowed too much blood without realizing. SICK!!!! I immediately stopped swallowing anything and just started letting it drool out of my mouth onto a towel, now that must have been a gross sight I'm sure. The doc said I couldn't have anything to eat/drink/or even med's until my stomach had settled and got all the bad fluids out. After a couple hours I felt much much better and drank some Ginger Ale. Following that, I went to bed. (Note: I threw up everything I'd eaten so I was running on empty again.) When mom came to bed, she stopped in the room, rubbed my head and sang me to sleep. I haven't had too much pain, just very very uncomfortable.



[the one on the left is the one that cause the most pain. Bottom left]

Today I was a lot better. I'm really swollan on the Left side. The Surgeon had said that this side might be worse because the tooth was very odd shaped, inset in my bone more - so they had to dig it out, and it is HUGE. I slept pretty much the WHOLE day, until Del came over at 6. He sat on the bed and watched a snowmobile video. I tried staying awake, it was pretty eventful. Dad brought me a chopped Popsicle to eat since I hadn't had any fluids for awhile. After the video was over Del left to get home, and let me rest.




All in all I've learned: Don't swallow blood, Pain killers work, Throwing up is worse when you have gauze in your mouth and you can't open your throat, Mom and Dad are the best, and I'm going back to school in the spring. There you have it folks...My wisdom teeth horror story.


My awful attempt at a smile, but can't you see nothing but joy and happiness being forced to lay in bed all day hahahaha.

3 comments:

Adam & Brandi said...

Drinking blood eh? What, do you think you are a vampire? J/K! Well for what it's worth, your face is still pretty. And I hope that you are doing okay. I'll come see you tonight and take care of you! ;)

Stephanie & Andrew Hansen said...

Hehehehhe! We all have a horror story about surgery now don't we. I am so glad you lived to tell us all about it. Too bad you didn't see Jesus in your dreams during surgery! I did when I had my teeth out. I dreamed that Jesus was reaching out for me and mom was holding me on my ankles so that I wouldn't fly away. I dreamed Jesus was trying to call me home. heheheheh! Cute pictures sister!

Adam & Brandi said...

um...these pictures don't show the swelling at its fullest point. When we were there your face was more swelled, way more!!!

Adam