Thursday, May 6, 2010

Weekly Routine

Many function best when a set schedule can be carried out. Early to bed - Early to rise. It also helps if you can tackle set meal times, set working hours, and daily exercise. I have come to realize - I eat whatever I really feel like . . . I in no way go to bed early (hence the hour of this here post) & I don't wake up early by choice (unless there is something to do). Also daily exercise? Uhh, it's not often that its "daily".

I've tried to stop eating after 7 pm. I've also started drinking LOTS AND LOTS of water. Sometimes to the point I think I'm going to drown my own body, but I know it's just cause I'm not used to it. Since I haven't been a soda person in the past, switching for any other beverage wasn't a hard change.

I have jogged everyday since Monday. Rain or shine. The route has changed, but I've gone down roads I didn't even know existed here in Ponderay/Kootenai.

I have not accomplished to "early to bed - early to rise," although I hope to very soon. I think going into summer it'll be important for me to remember that life is not all about work and play. There is a time for both yes, but I need to make sure I'm taking care of my own health. Another very important aspect I've implemented is some of the Sandpoint 7. Many of you don't know what the Sandpoint 7 are, so I'll help you out.

The Sandpoint Seven are guidelines the Sandpoint Stake gave to help bring families closer to Christ. The seven tasks if carried out - will help each and everyone of us be happy, and feel the and be more in tune with the spirit every hour of every day.

1. Daily Personal Scripture Study
2. Daily Personal Prayer
3. Daily Family Scripture Study
4. Daily Family Prayer
5. Weekly Family Home Evening
6. Regular Temple Attendance (as much as situations allow)
7. Service

My Daily routine has drastically changed since moving out on my own. I wake up each morning and immediately kneel. This week Bodie really tested my patience with this as he would claw at my legs to get me to get up and let him out poddy while dog sitting for mom and dad. After a prayer, and turn to the scriptures. I read for about a half hour, and then get ready for the day. After showering and preparing myself for work - I try and sit and read past General Conference addresses, Ensigns, and any other material. I search topics on LDS.ORG appropriate to what I'm going through, or what I might stand in need of. After that, I make myself something to eat, and head to work. After work - I usually make a phone call...sometimes two:) Then I grab my scriptures, and continue reading where I left off earlier in the morning. After finishing my reading, I kneel by my bedside and close the day with a prayer once more.

This routine has 1. Help me feel comfort in all the trials I've been going through. 2. Help me feel the spirit continually. 3. boosted my mood and self confidence. 4. Enlightens me that my Savior loves me, and is with me.

So not only am I trying to change some things about my weekly routine, but I'm always looking for ways to better myself. If I have learned one thing from Ryan, It's been that I can achieve greatness. I don't have to settle for anything less that what I truly deserve. I deserve happiness and self-fulfillment. I get that daily by how I choose to live my life. I could choose to sit and watch TV all day . . . But I'm not going too:) Not anymore at least. I hardly check Facebook anymore. Although it looks like I post alot, I used to be on facebook for hours after work, catching up with friends. Not that that is not important anymore, I just need to take more time caring for my own "self" and Facebook in no way, shape or form can actively do that:)

This week I will implement another Sandpoint Seven, service. I have become aware of local organizations that are in need of a weekly helping hand. I have contacted a few individuals who have sent me paperwork to look over. I felt that in devoting free time I had to help out a cause that would better not only my community - but myself to, I should actively seek that out.

Another Sandpoint Seven guideline I've been trying my hardest to work into my schedule is weekly Family Home Evening. Usually this is with the Sandpoint Young Single Adults, and that has really been great. We do FHE on Sunday nights, and most young adults are off work and school on Sunday's. It is difficult to do them on Monday nights. Usually attendance goes down, and it's "thrown together". I look forward to FHE with the YSA. We are a strong group of people, and we are able to uplift each other through scripture, and spiritual thoughts. Following a lesson we play games, eat dinner and/or dessert and mingle until we've overstayed our welcome at a Stake Members home.

All these steps I've been taking to alter my weekly and daily routines have helped me have more energy, feel the spirit more, receive answers and blessings. I have so much to be grateful for:) My family has been a huge support for me this past few months. I love each and everyone of my brothers and sisters so much, and feel I don't express my appreciation towards them enough. Last night my sister commented on my Facebook with:

"I just called to say I love you! I just called to tell you that I care!....(I am singing to you)..."


What a sweet thought it was for her to think of me. Growing up I remember mom always calling my older siblings and leaving them voicemail recordings of that very song. It's a simple reminder that we don't always have to have a reason to call one another. I think I have that flaw. I can't remember the last time I called any brother of mine or their spouses to just say I love them, and I appreciate them. I really should do it more often. I'm more of a silent lover. But it's something I want to do better. Living at home with mom and dad is entertaining on Sunday nights. That is the night that most all of the kids call home:) The phone rings off the hook as each child takes their turn through the evening, putting their kids on the phone, talking about their past week, and then their upcoming week. Sometimes on Sunday night, I miss that...Living with mom and dad I had an excuse to talk to my brothers and sisters more. Primarily because I'd answer the phone:) I'm not complaining, I'm perfectly able to pick up the phone and call to say hello - just like they are, but our lives or so busy sometimes. I set a goal (just now) to make sure I don't only call my siblings when I need something... Because I don't only want to talk to them at that point in time, I want to talk to them all the time:) I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do. Maybe I should be more like Sulet Hiatt and get up at 4 am to do my running, so that I have enough minutes in everyday to get done all the things I see fit.

Well No pictures, once again on this post:) Just an update. I'm happy, I'm healthy (minus the occasionally head pains - but survivable) I'm doing good!


4 comments:

Adam & Brandi said...

Big D, I LOVED this post! I am so delighted to hear that you are trying to grow closer to the Savior. This is my most favorite blog entry of yours- by far. You have such a beautiful spirit. I cannot express how happy I am for you and the righteous decisions you are making. I love you so much and am SO VERY PROUD of you.

Adam & Brandi said...

Uncle Dick language- Good to see things are happy going for you. Stay glad and don't let discouragement settle in. Have a day full of happy things around you. And keep up the good work too. If you are in the need of a good exercise program maybe try what works for myself-water arobics. And you would have to rise and shine to early in the cold mornings. Good night.

Adam & Brandi said...

Sorry wouldn't have to rise and shine to early. HEHEHEH

Stephanie & Andrew Hansen said...

P.S. I love you!