Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Testimony

For my Family History class this semester, part of my final is typing out my testimony, and making it available for others to read. So here it goes, this is the my testimony and how it has increased this semester (Jan-April 2011)


I belong to am a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Over the course of this semester, I have gained a testimony specifically of the following gospel principles:



  • Faith


  • Pray


  • Love


  • Priesthood


  • Eternal Families

Faith in the power of obedience to the commandments of God that will create a strength of character available to us in times of urgent need. Such character is not developed in moments of great challenge or temptation. That is when it is intended to be used. As I exercise my faith in true principles, I have the potential to build my personal character. As a result, my capacity and confidence to conquer the trials of life are enhanced. Like the primary song, Faith is like a little seed, if planted, it will grow. I have come to discover how faith and character interact to strengthen one another. Character is woven patiently from threads of applied principle, doctrine, and obedience. I know that the more I exercise my faith in Christ, I am in turn improving myself, and also becoming like Christ.

I have found that through fervent faith, another key tool to use is prayer. Prayer is a divine right and tool given to us to make the blessings of Christ more accessible. I have felt the blessings of kneeling in prayer on a daily basis. I have felt more than ever the importance of continually holding a prayer in my heart. As I deal with my day-to-day business, I am able to feel the Holy Spirit by my side as I continue to keep in close contact with my Father in Heaven. I have overcome trials where I felt my heart could bear no more, and when I have knelt alone in a quiet place, I have been able to feel the spirit, and overcome my burden. I know that when I feel let down, I can turn to my Father for comfort, guidance, and love. One thing I have always known and felt is Christ will never abandon me, if I but do His will, and follow the principles and standards of this true Gospel. I have faith that my Father in Heaven hears my prayers, and awaits patiently for me to knock on his door and converse with him in private. My apartment this semester has also utilized the power of prayer to help each of unite together to uplift one another in each of our different trials. We pray that we may be mindful of each other’s needs, and also for opportunities to love and serve each other as sisters. I know that through prayer, I have become more accepting and loving in situations I would have previously been aggravated, and irritated. I find that this simple tool given to mankind to express them to our Father has helped not only me, but the relationships I share with others. Recently, I have been making decisions where I rely on the spirit of the Lord so much. I don’t know how I could do it without the Holy Ghost, and the guidance and peace I feel there. I pray daily (morning, noon and night) that I may continue to make wise choices according to that which the Lord sees fit for my life and my plan. I know as I continue to follow the true promptings of the spirit, I can reap the full benefits and blessings that have been given to me in the pre-mortal life. I have been eternally blessed with a beautiful family that has uplifted me in many times of need. I am grateful for all their love they have shared, and advice they have given. Through the power of prayer, I have been able to use their experiences, advice and love to find where I should go, and what I might do. I believe that I will one day be married in the temple, and bare children that may also be as close knit as my family is. I hope that my children might support and guide one another –leading by example- like my brothers and sister have done for me. I have been blessed with not only the most loving family, but the most loving friendships. Through these friendships, I have come to find what I want and deserve in my life as far as associations go. I have found a passion in helping my fellow man in achieving their goals, and also being in a position to direct and lead others. Through this love, I have felt closer to my Savior. I know as I love my neighbor (friends, family and those I come in contact with) I am bettering mine own character, and through this I come to learn to love myself. This semester I have received a couple priesthood blessings. I have watched it aid individuals I am in contact with in healing their sickness, pass their tough courses, find peace and comfort, and overcome obstacles. As I have watched others around me, I have come to acknowledge and appreciate the power of the Priesthood and the men who hold these eternal keys. I know how important this tool is in families, and have come to understand that I too need this in my own personal family one day. As I have become witness to the power in which the Priesthood holders carry, I have come to love this aspect of the gospel and look forward to having this in my home as my husband and sons become worthy ordained priesthood holders.

Lastly, through my family history course, I have gained a stronger appreciation for eternal families, and the work needing to be done in our genealogy. This semester I was able to submit my mothers’ father to the temple to have his ordinances done. I am excited for this privilege as I felt accomplished in playing an essential part in linking our family together. I hope that through the blessings of this class, I will personally be able to attend the temple to help do these ordinances reserved by our family. I know my family is bound together here on earth, through the power of the priesthood, and through faith and hard work. As we continue to live worthily, all that binds us here on earth, I know are bound in heaven. I have faith that I will be with my family in the afterlife, and if we live righteously, when we all reach the pearly gates, our Savior will say to us, “well done, thou good and faithful servant.” I say these things, in the name of Jesus Chris, Amen.

0 comments: