Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Call me "NO"

Last Friday I went home to surprise Kevin for his 23rd birthday:) I got to the Salt Lake airport, and waited in line to get my boarding pass at the Southwest ticket counter. There was quite a line, so they were really rushing people through. They had a bunch of computer kiosks to check in on, but they also had ticket agents working to get the line moving through. When I was first in line, the customer service rep said, "NEXT!" I walked up, gave her my ID, checked my bags, retrieved my boarding pass, and went to security. Again, busy time nearly 5 in the afternoon, so they were rushing to push everyone through. The first check-point you hand a TSA member your boarding pass, and ID. They then observe that the ID is legitimate, and that your boarding pass matches your ID. They sign it and send you on your way. Next you place all your items in bins and send them through a conveyer belt. This is where they x-ray all your belongings. No problems. I board my plane and arrive home (15 minutes early).

My return trip, another story.

I arrive at the airport an hour prior to my flight. I attempt to check in. When the lady says, "NEXT!" I walk up, give her my name, and search for my ID. She then asks, "are you sure you are flying southwest, not skywest?" I looked up confused...Umm, not i'm definately flying southwest airlines. I handed her my ID to which she then relayed to me that I am not in there computer system for this flight, or any flight for that matter. WHAT THE HECK? She asked to see my conformation number, to which I had deleted out of my phone. I ripped off my bag tag they placed on my checked luggage on the way from SLC to Spokane airport. She keyed it in and found that my reservation and checked name was NO. Yes, that's it! My name was NO! Not Deanna No, Or any other form or variation of my first or middle names, just a partial of my last name. Baffled, she called her supervisor. They can't change my name or let me fly tell they can match my boarding pass to my identity. They then call a member of TSA who asked me a lot of question about my check-in and security procedures at the SLC airport. The supervisor was then asking me if I had any problems with baggage, travel, payment, or check-in. I was so confused. They finally got someone on the phone, who changed my name, and were then able to print me a boarding pass. Next, security. Again - very smooth, no problems!

I get on my flight, and am chatting away with this really nice lady from San Fransisco sitting next to me. Older lady who said I reminded her of her daughter. While chatting, she asked for a pen...I reached into my purse - felt around a bit- and couldn't believe what I felt...None other then my leatherman knife! I left it hidden in my purse, but I was appalled!

TSA LET ME THROUGH WITH A WRONG NAME, AND A WEAPON IN BOTH AIRPORTS? How could this not be caught. They take water bottles from old ladies but forget my knife...this is an outrage. But there was smooth sailing from then on out. I didn't really have any problems, just kind of odd that the airports, and TSA let so many things go wrong. I am back in Rexburg, and back in classes:) Long fun weekend, now for the long haul to finals week!

1 comments:

Adam & Brandi said...

On the bright side, Miss No, at least you still have your knife. They would have made you "discard" the knife in SLC. So, consider it as a favor, courtesy of the efficient and thorough government agents we call the TSA. Yeah, I hope you catch my sarcasm. This is the biggest waste of government money! I sometimes wonder what their qualifications are to be hired. But hey, at least they are EQUAL opportunity employers...and you have your knife! :)

Adam