Friday, April 15, 2011

Fairbanks Training

I am having so much fun learning here in Fairbanks, Alaska. The weather has been absolutely fantastic as we have begun our driving. This week I have been back and forth to the office, clinic and DMV so many times - I lost track of how many. On Monday I took my CDL, Air bakes, and Passenger endorsement tests. I did not pass the Air brakes test so I had to return. After passing they printed me two licenses, one: An Alaska state drivers license, two: An Alaska state commercial drivers permit.


Once certified I made my way to the clinic to have a DOT physical done. The work safe clinic was a mad house - literally. All the nurses and employee's were tripping on one another. My appointment and physical was completed in a hallway, is that legal? I then returned to the office on Tuesday to take in all my paperwork and get all signed up to drive and train. Wednesday we had class from 8-5, which meant that the morning was spent out observing the coaches and going over pre-trip inspections. This was the first time I had ever really paid much attention to the back of the coach. After the inspections we returned to the conference room to complete our module lessons. We then took a short quiz and were done for the day!


While on lunch, I had time to read the newspaper. Here is an ad that is interesting. First, his name is Ryan Bandy - is that even a real name. Second, look how cheesy and young he is - i mean yes, i want him to plan my funeral. Third, Funeral prearrangement, are there individuals that picky that they have to plan their own funeral before passing so that everything is planned according to their wishes. Where is the trust in society. But thank you Ryan Bandy for reminding me that there is no time like the future:) haha

Thursday, I was able to meet with my trainer, and pre-trip the coach. Luckily I was able to recall and retain portions of the training from the day prior. Due to this, we were able to finish inspecting the interior and exterior of the coach and move on to some low density driving. I was so excited I couldn't even contain myself. It was like all my dreams coming true in one instant! I have wanted to drive one of these honkin' things since 2008 when I worked up here in Alaska at Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge. It was simpler then I thought it would be, and I felt very comfortable behind the wheel.

Friday, my trainer had enough faith in me to take me to the skills course! I was able to weave in and out cones, forward and backwards...So much fun. It was crazy cause I was backing a 40' bus, using my mirrors and correctly maneuvering it through cones, using the pivot point between my rear dual axle and tag tires. So much fun! A coworker snapped a picture of me driving:)


The cone test was kind of hard, due to the fact the parking lot was completely iced over. Especially my course in my lane was a sheet of ice. I slid about 20' each time going backwards and had to start over until I could successfully complete the course without guided participation from my trainer. Being that they thought I would need another day pre-tripping, I was only on the schedule for an hour session, but we were able to squeeze a lot into that hour. I'm moving right along here in Fairbanks, and loving every minute of it. Being that I was so excited to drive, I know this summer is going to be great. I can't wait to get behind the wheel and just drive, and bring out the best of Alaska to those on my coach.


(oh yeah, since the weather is warm, the snow and ice is melting like crazy, and refreezing at night. Here is a good example. The night I got in, this sculpture was of a giant dragon, and red, orange and green lights lit it up. The detailed design was so intricate and beautiful. But today, it's all melted, and looks like a headless naked woman whose gone mad! Proof of Alaska's GREAT SPRING weather! Hope everyone in the lower 48 are keeping warm!)

0 comments: